This wire harness allows full control of an OEM Toyota Electric Differential Locker (E-locker). This wire harness is normally used for one of the following purposes:
- An axle/differential with a Toyota Elocker is added to a non-locked vehicle and the Toyota E-locker control circuit is not already in place to control the locker
- To gain full manual-control of the E-locker differential on a vehicle originally equipped with an E-locker differential
Either way, the ORS E-Locker Wiring Harness is a great solution.
The actuator on the Toyota E-locker differential uses a motor with limit switches, which is monitored and controlled by a computer, based on the switch position and other factors. Simple ON/OFF power control is not a safe control method for the differential or the operator.
Using a set of relays, our harness will simply operate the E-Locker by the push of a switch, while operating the differential motor via the OEM limit switches. This method is safe for the motor/differential. By using relays in place of a computer, our harness eliminates the parameters that the Elocker computer uses, such as speed or 4WD position, giving more control of the E-locker differential to the driver. Please see advisory below.
Simpler and more inexpensive wiring solutions are offered online, and on the market, based on simple ON/OFF power control to the motor. We advise avoiding this method as it can lead to partial engagement/disengagement or motor over-heating. This can be dangerous for the differential and can make vehicle handling/operation dangerous. The ORS E-Locker Wire Harness offers superior design compared to the ON/OFF method.
The ORS E-Locker Harness is offered in a single or dual-locker arrangement (for applications with an E-Locker in both front and rear axles). The Dual-Locker arrangement is actually more expensive than two separate single-locker harnesses. The relays used in the single-locker harness become excessive in size, and difficult to mount under the dash, when doubled in a dual-locker harness. For this reason, the dual-locker harness is built with a small under-hood fuse box, creating a different layout and more complex design/construction. This means a simpler/cleaner install but higher cost when compared to two single-locker wire harnesses.
The ORS E-Locker harness plugs directly into your E-Locker differential(s), preventing the need for any additional wiring connections. This harness is completely pre-wired, comes standard with a Carling Rocker Switch and is covered with expanded sleeve and corrugated loom for protection. Installation is very simple and the harness is custom-tailored to your model, wheelbase, selected axle(s), and battery location.
The following options can be added to this harness:
- An indicator of the differential’s lock position, built into the switch, a separate LED indicator, or in some cases wired to the original Lock indicator light in the OEM instrument cluster
- The use of an OEM Toyota Differential Locking switch – the OEM switch itself can be included or not included.
Note: the OEM switch option offered on a Dual E-Locker harness is an 80-series LandCruiser switch. This switch does not provide front-only locker operation: rear-only or rear+front operation is built into this switch. To use two independent OEM-locker switches, two “Rear Diff Lock” OEM switches would be needed; contact ORS for this option. For fully-independent operation on a Dual-E-Locker harness we recommend the standard rocker-switch option.
The ORS E-Locker wire harness is NOT compatible with the 2016 and newer Tacoma E-Locker differential.
This product is built per order, please allow 1-2 weeks for order completion.
Notice when ordering: Please include the following information in the “Order Notes” box when placing your order:
From Elocker Donor Vehicle:
- Model Year
- Indicate front or rear locker (when applicable)
From Your Vehicle:
- Model Year
- If Model is a pickup truck – cab size (standard, extra, double, access), bed length
- Indicate locker location, front or rear
- Battery location (if in engine bay, indicate R or L side)
- Indicate any major wheelbase changes (over 2”)
- Indicate any suspension lift over 2”
- If using indicator circuit – in switch, separate indicator lamp, or in-instrument cluster
Please call or email for custom applications.
Advisory: In its original application, Toyota uses a computer to control the operation of the E-Locker. In this system, various inputs are used to control differential operation, such as 4WD mode and vehicle speed. This computer-controlled system is designed for operator safety and differential reliability. When using the ORS E-Locker Wiring Harness, the operator is given full control of the locker operation. This makes the driver responsible for judging the appropriate timing of E-Locker differential operation.